CASCARA-BASED COCKTAILS? YES PLEASE!
Without prompting, people tell us Lazy Bear Tea would make a great mixer. It's not how we usually drink this nutritious powerhouse, but we most certainly agree. The earthy, lightly sweet undertones of cascara are such a lovely base for many drinks and we've experimented quite a lot... bourbon, tequila, rum all make for a delightful match.
We are including two very simple recipes here, but the combinations are endless. For more inspiration, check out these incredible cascara creations from bars around the country, including a "cascara and juniper mocktail" and a "cascara no.1" with vermouth, gin, and grapefruit cordial. Yes, please.
Here our two simple yet delicious takes on cascara libations.
- Cold steep 4 heaping tablespoons of dry cascara into 3 cups of tequila and let the infusion go overnight. You can purchase dry cascara from our shop.
- Mix 1 part cascara tequila infusion with 1 part cardamaro, and 1 part club soda.
- Gently stir and add a little ice.
- Garnish with a little bundle of whatever fresh herbs and flowers you have on hand. Mint and rosemary are both great choices you may already have around.
Cascara Dark and Stormy
- Mix 4 ounces of cascara tea you've already brewed (recipe for that here) with 1 ounce of your favorite dark rum, a slice of lime, a teaspoon of freshly-pressed ginger (we use a garlic press!), stir, and add some ice.
- Easy as that.
Are you experimenting with your own cascara concoctions at home? Seen any cool cascara cocktails at your local bar? Let us know!
Lazy Bear hugs,